The Roku player is a great set top box that many people are quickly using to replace their cable service. One of the features that sets it above other similar players is the ability to add an almost limitless number of channels to get the content that interests you most. Whether you’re interested in streaming music from Spotify, watching the latest episode of Girls via HBO Go, or playing Angry Birds on your TV, you can download a channel specifically for you. Adding channels is easy and can be done right from your box or from your internet browser.
From your Roku player:
- Go to your Roku’s home screen and select the “Channel Store.”
- Browse through the channels and choose the one that interests you. You can browse by category or by what channels are most popular, featured, or new.
- Select the channel, and you will be taken to a screen which gives you the option to “Add” or “Buy” depending on if the channel is free or paid. You can also choose “View Screenshots” on this page to make sure the channel is what you’re looking for.
- If you select “Add” and the channel is free, it will start downloading immediately.
- If the channel is paid, select “Buy.” You may be asked to enter the four-digit PIN that you have set up for your account.
- Once you have added the channel, it will be available as soon as the download is complete. You can then select it from the “My Channels” menu and start using it immediately.
From the Roku.com website
- Go to Roku.com and sign in from the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- Sign in to your account using your e-mail address and password.
- Select “Channels” from the top of the screen.
- Either use the search bar at the top of the screen to find the channel you’re interested in or select “Browse.”
- From the “Browse” menu, you can flip through channels by category or select from the featured channels just as you would on the Roku box’s channel store.
- Once you have found the channel you’re looking for, click “Add Channel.” If it is a free channel, it will be added immediately. Paid channels will ask you to confirm before buying.
- Your new channel should download to the Roku box pretty quickly, but if it hasn’t shown up yet, you can manually make it download on your box by going to “Settings,” then “System Update,” and select “Check Now.” This will not only check for any software updates but also download any channels that haven’t synced yet.
The Roku Channel Store is very easy to use and intuitive, so you can start enjoying new content in no time.